Dogs love to eat just as much as humans do. Unfortunately, they are limited in terms of the types of foods they can consume because of the damage some things can do to their health and bodies. You may be tempted to give your canine friend a taste of what you’re having for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but you have to be careful, because there are a lot of foods that just aren’t dog-friendly.
Here are five foods you shouldn’t feed your dog if you want to avoid a visit to an animal hospital in D’Iberville, MS:
- Chocolate: Chocolate is something people shouldn’t feed their dogs because it can be harmful to the canine’s health. It is one specific ingredient, methylxanthines, that will cause them to vomit, urinate, become excessively thirsty and more. This is what can happen when a dog has milk or dark chocolate, so it is not only important that you not feed it to them, but also that you keep it somewhere they won’t be able to access it.
- Grapes: Many dogs may find grapes or any other round food appealing. However, this doesn’t mean they should consume them. Should your dog get a hold of even one grape, it could cause kidney failure. Unlike many of the other foods that dogs shouldn’t eat, the substance in grapes that causes dogs harm is unknown. And because raisins are dried grapes, you should be sure your dog doesn’t consume them either.
- Nuts: The last thing you will want to deal with is a dog who keeps vomiting or is suffering from diarrhea—and this is exactly what will happen if they get a hold of nuts. This includes the common nuts that people enjoy, like walnuts and almonds, because all nuts contain a large amount of fats and oils that simply aren’t good for dogs. Another danger associated with dogs consuming nuts is the potential risk of pancreatitis.
- Onions: If you love to cook, there are going to be various ingredients that you use for your dishes, including onions. This particular vegetable can lead to gastrointestinal problems and damage to your dog’s red blood cells because onions, like many things your dog shouldn’t eat, can be toxic and harmful to their health. Although your dog would have to consume a pretty large amount, it is best to keep them away from onions completely.
- Milk: Your dog may have consumed its mother’s milk when it was a puppy, but when it comes to milk from a cow or any other dairy product, they should steer clear. Because dogs do not have the appropriate amount of the enzyme lactase, which can break down the lactose in milk, their digestive systems can become upset if they consume dairy products. As a result, they will have diarrhea and experience discomfort.
Dogs are like children, and don’t always know what is best for them, so it is up to you, the pet owner, to keep them safe. Even when you do put forth the effort to keep your canine safe, accidents happen and they can still manage to find a way to the things they shouldn’t. If and when this happens, it is important that you get your dog medical attention from an animal hospital in D’Iberville, MS as soon as possible.
Not sure where to go if you’re dog are something they shouldn’t have? You can call or visit the D’Iberville Veterinary Hospital for assistance.